Saturday, July 31, 2010

Soy-Ginger Fish with Roasted Zucchini


After my hiatus from cooking & grocery shopping, our house was void of all items necessary to make a decent meal. So yesterday, I made a list of the meals I want to make for the next week, put together my grocery list & made a run to my H-E-B.

I know The Hubs was glad to have a home cooked meal last night, even if what I made was a bit out of his ordinary fare.

I had seen a recipe for soy & ginger glazed fish in a magazine on my flight back from Atlanta a couple of weeks ago & it looked tasty. So I made something similar last night and it turned out GREAT! The Hubs even loved it!.

Ingredients:

* 2 - 6 oz. portions of white fish (I used Mahi Mahi)
* 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
* 2 Tbsp brown sugar
* 1 Tbsp soy sauce, low sodium
* olive oil
* salt & pepper
* 1 medium zucchini, sliced
* 1 medium yellow squash, sliced
* fresh herbs, chopped (I used basil & sage)



Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

2. In a small bowl, combine the ginger, soy sauce & brown sugar to create a glaze. Set aside.



3. Toss sliced zucchini & squash with 1 Tbsp. olive oil & fresh herbs. Pour into a baking dish.



4. Place fish fillets on a foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tsp. olive oil & season with salt & pepper.



5. Put zucchini/squash and fish into oven on middle rack.

6. Bake fish 5 - 7 minutes, removing to baste with soy sauce glaze twice during final minutes of cooking.



7. Remove zucchini/squash from oven after 7 minutes (or at desired doneness) and serve alongside fish.


My Tid-Bits:

* Never cooked with fresh ginger? It's really easy. Just buy a piece of ginger root at the grocery store, peel a portion of the root with a vegetable peeler and use a microplane or grater to grate the ginger. Put any leftover ginger root in a ziploc & toss into the freezer. Some grocery stores even carry grated ginger if you're not up to grating it yourself. And if you REALLY like ginger, feel free to double the amount you put into your glaze.

* This is another quick dinner to fix. Prep took about 10 minutes & cooking was 7 minutes.

* Another bonus? This meal is healthy! One 6 oz. fillet with glaze + half of the zucchini/squash mixture is only 300 calories and less than 10 grams of fat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment