Thursday, July 29, 2010

Shrimp Scampi

I realize its been almost 2 weeks since I last shared any recipes. My apologies for slacking. I've been a busy girl!

Weekend before last, The Hubs & I took a trip to San Antonio & Frederickburg to celebrate my birthday and see my sister's family. When we got home on Monday, my mom & her friend were at our house, as they had come to help celebrate my birthday. Tuesday, my actual birthday, I woke up with a stomach virus. Let me tell you...being sick on your birthday just stinks! We had to cancel birthday dinner plans & I spent the day in bed. Luckily it was a short lived bug & I felt good enough to at least enjoy a piece for the Hazelnut Raspberry Cake my mom had made...





SO YUMMY! (The cake was supposed to be topped with raspberries & drizzled with white chocolate, but wasn't so that it would keep in the refrigerator until I could really enjoy it).

Wednesday & Thursday were spent with my new CEO. Friday - Tuesday I had a Trade Show and baseball games. Then yesterday, I met my sister & her kids in New Braunfels for a 8.5 hour trek through Schlitterbahn. Whew!! Talk about exhausting.

Needless to say, I haven't done much cooking or blogging.

Tuesday night, The Hubs & I really wanted to eat at home, but I haven't been grocery shopping in 2 weeks. I dug through the pantry & refrigerator and came up with the stuff needed for Shrimp Scampi. I compiled several recipes I found online & came out with this:

Ingredients:

* 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
* Salt and pepper
* Olive oil
* 1 small onion, diced
* 2 or 3 cloves garlic
* 1 lemon, juiced
* 1/2 cup white wine
* 1/2 cup stock, chicken or shrimp
* 2 tablespoons cold butter
* 2 tablespoons chopped basil
* Pasta (Preferably angel hair, but all I had was bow tie)

Directions

1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil & cook pasta according to directions.

2. Meanwhile, season shrimp with salt and pepper.



3. Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to lightly coat the pan. Add the shrimp and quickly saute until just starting to turn pink, but not cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.



4. Toss the onions in the pan and saute just until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds.



5. Pour in the lemon juice, white wine, and stock. Reduce by 2/3, about 5 minutes.





(Please ignore the fact that I've peeled the nail polish off one of my nails...bad habit).

6. Add the shrimp back to the pan and swirl in the butter.



7. Season with salt & pepper, if needed. Toss shrimp & sauce with pasta. Top with basil.



My Tid-Bits:

* This was SUPER easy & quick - perfect for a weeknight dinner.

* This recipe is largely based on Emeril's Shrimp Scampi, but I changed it up a bit.

* I always keep chicken bouillon on hand in case I don't have chicken stock. For this recipe, just mix 1/2 cup hot water with 3/4 tsp. bouillon.



* I promise to be better about posting more recipes in the coming weeks. I have some in the hopper already, so keep an eye out for those.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment