Monday, July 12, 2010

Monday Morsel from Mom (7th Edition)

Growing up, I always looked forward to Saturday mornings for two reasons:

1. Saturday morning TV (cartoons and eventually Saved By the Bell) and
2. BREAKFAST!!!

Every Saturday morning my mom made a full, delicious breakfast - waffles, pancakes, french toast, muffins, eggs, bacon, etc. I still can't figure out how she gets her scrambled eggs so perfect & fluffy.

I spent many a Saturday perched on the couch with my plate on my lap (yes, we were allowed to eat in the living room) watching the drama unfold at Bayside High.

Now I try to do the same & cook breakfast every Saturday for The Hubs and whatever company we may have at our house or the lake house.

My all-time favorite thing to make for breakfast is my mom's waffles. They are just SO GOOD! I've been known to give waffle makers with this recipe attached as wedding gifts. :)

I made waffles served with strawberries & blueberries on the 4th of July for our Patriotic breakfast! Everyone really enjoyed them...some people (I won't point fingers) may have eaten more than 1 or 2.


Mama's Waffles


Ingredients:

* 2 ½ c milk
* 2 eggs
* 2/3 c oil
* 2 ½ c flour
* 4 t. baking powder
* 1 T sugar
* 1 t. salt

(Sorry I don't have an ingredient picture, but I'm pretty sure you know what all of these things are).

Directions:

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine milk, eggs & oil. Using an hand mixer, beat until well combined.



2. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar & salt.



3. Slowly add the flour mixture to the milk & egg mixture. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes until light.



4. Cook according to your waffle makers instructions.



5. Top with all of your favorite: butter, syrup, berries, whip cream, peanut butter, etc.



My Tid-Bits:

* I'm also a believer that breakfast food doesn't always have to be made in the morning. Just ask The Hubs. We probably have breakfast for dinner more than he'd like.

* If you're in the market for a great waffle maker, I LOVE my Cuisinart. All I have to do is pour in 1/2 cup of batter, close the lid & wait for the light to turn green.

* If you use 1/2-ish cup of batter for each waffle, this recipe will make 10 to 12 waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment