Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Spiced Chicken with Couscous Salad



I have another quick & easy recipe for y'all courtesy of my 7.5 hour flight delay in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. While waiting for an eternity for my plane, I found this recipe in Real Simple. I made this recipe last night and it was tasty and light.

Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 to 6 ounces each)
* 1 teaspoon paprika (I doubled this amount)
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* kosher salt and black pepper
* 3⁄4 cup couscous
* 3/4 pound cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
* 1/4 pound snap peas, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 cup)
* 1/2 cup torn fresh basil
* 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice



Directions

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with the paprika, cumin, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.2. Cook until golden brown and cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes per side; transfer to plates. 3. Meanwhile, place the couscous in a large bowl.And add 1 cup hot tap water, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.4. Add the tomatoes, snap peas, basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and toss to combine. 5. Slice the chicken and serve with the couscous.

My-Tid Bits:

* I like paprika & the color it adds, so I double the paprika & mixed it with the cumin before sprinkling over chicken.

* I also steamed the snap peas for just a few minutes before slicing them to make them a bit more tender.
* This is another fairly healthy dinner option: 1 chicken breast + 1/4 of the couscous salad = 363 calories & 13 grams of fat

No comments:

Post a Comment