Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Fish Filets with Herbs, Zucchini & Couscous

Last week when my new Martha Stewart Living arrived in the mail, I skipped the first half of the magazine & went straight to the food section. Let's be honest, I like all of Martha's crafty decorating ideas, but I'll never take the time to do any of them.

Last night I made her "Fish Fillets With Herbs, Zucchini & Couscous" for dinner. You make a tasty herb paste, spread it on zucchini & fish and roast them. It was delicious and simple to make. As typical, I made a couple of changes (see My Tid-Bits).

Ingredients:

* 4 green onions, chopped
* 1 cup packed fresh cilantro
* 4 large mint leaves
* 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 Tbsb grated fresh ginger (about 3/4" piece)
* coarse ground salt & pepper
* 1 zucchini, cut into spears or large pieces
* 2 (4 to 6 oz) skinless fillets of firm white fish (such as cod)
* 1 cup dry couscous
* lemon slices (optional)


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. In a food processor, combine green onions, cilantro, mint, ginger & salt.


Pulse until finely chopped...


Stream in 3 Tbsp. EVOO...


Season with salt & pepper...


3. Toss zucchini with 2 to 3 Tbsp herb paste. Place on baking sheet & roast for 5 minutes.


4. Rub remaining herb paste onto both sides of fish fillets.


5. Push zucchini to the side of baking sheet & arrange fish in center, leaving 1/2" between each fillet. Roast until fish are opaque and semi-firm to the touch, about 12 - 15 minutes.

6. Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions.

7. Serve fish & zucchini over couscous. If desired, sprinkle with lemon juice.


My Tid-Bits:

* I loved this recipe because it had a ton of flavor & was easy to throw together. I made the herb paste before I left to go to the ballpark. When I got home, it took me a total of 20 minutes, including cook time to finish putting dinner on the table.

* My Changes:
a. The original recipe called for 4 fish fillets, but since it was just The Hubs & I, I just used 2.
b. Martha used 6 scallions, but I subbed the green onions I had in the refrigerator.
c. It also called for whole wheat couscous, but I just used regular.
d. The original also recommends (optional) 3/4 tsp. ground coriander. I just left that out.
e. I added the lemon juice & thought it added a nice touch!

* And to top of being easy & tasty - this recipe is healthy! If you make the recipe in its original form, each serving has 354 calories & 12 grams of fat.

* I will definitely be making the herb paste again. It would be great to toss with veggies before grilling or roasting.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment