Thursday, August 5, 2010

Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Red Pepper Pesto

I wanted to make something simple, but tasty for dinner the other night. I had chicken breasts & left over hamburger buns on hand, so I decided to make Grilled Chicken Sandwiches. I was trying to think of something to put on them to make them "special" and had an "AHA" moment when I spotted a jar of roasted red peppers. I made the Red Pepper Pesto from a previous recipe & used it as a spread on the sandwich and it was OH SO TASTY!!

Ingredients:

* Chicken Breast
* Light Italian Dressing
* Caramelized Onions
* Red Pepper Pesto from Shrimp Pizza Recipe (Red Peppers, Mozzarella Cheese, Basil, EVOO & lemon juice)
* Lettuce
* Tomatoes, sliced
* Hamburger Buns (or other bread)


Directions:

1. Marinate chicken breasts in Italian dressing for at least 30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, make Red Pepper Pesto and caramelize the onions (see below).


3. Remove chicken from marinade & grill on medium-high heat (about 6 min. per side).

4. If desired, butter & toast buns or bread.

5. Spread pesto on both halves of the bun. Be generous.


Then layer with chicken, lettuce, caramelized onions & tomatoes.

6. Enjoy!

My Tid-Bits:

* For the pesto, I only made a half recipe. It was PLENTY.

* To caramelize onions, thinly slice an onion & saute on medium-low heat with 2 Tbsp. butter until golden brown. This usually takes about 25 minutes.

* I also marinated a pork chop & made it into a sandwich for The Hubs. He said it was good, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment