Friday, April 23, 2010

Washington D.C. - Day 3

On our third day in Washington, D.C., we had a reservation to tour the Capitol building. We had a bit of time before our tour, so we stopped by the Library of Congress.





The inside of the building is beautiful! We didn't have a whole lot of time to explore, but did get to see a few of the things they have on exhibit. (And to my Chi Omega sisters: No, I did not go find our book. Although I did think about it and when I mentioned it to The Hubs, he laughed at me).

From there we went across the street for our Capitol tour - which was surprisingly short. We saw a film about the history, toured the Rotunda and Statuary Hall and that was it.



Of course we had to find the Texas statue: Sam Houston





From there we grabbed a quick lunch at the National Museum of the American Indian, where they serve questionable "traditional Indian food."

After lunch, we had to make some decisions. There were still several things we wanted to see, but not enough time for them all. We ended up choosing to visit the American History Museum (which in my opinion was a good choice).

We got to see many important artifacts from American History.

Like Dorothy's Ruby Slippers...



The lunch counter from the famous Sit-In at Greensboro...



And my favorite...JULIA CHILD'S ACTUAL KITCHEN!



Be still my heart! Look at all of her gadgets! I didn't even know what some of them were.



That night we went to dinner at The Oceanaire Seafood Room where we had an all-around good meal. They fly fresh fish in each day & offer a wide variety of seafood. Our meal started with some complimentary pickled herring & accompaniments (sounds odd, but was actually good).



I had the Stuffed Canadian Turbot with Brie Cheese, Blue Crab & Bay Shrimp. YUMMO!



Finally, by our 3rd night of dinner I had learned to eat less & SAVE ROOM FOR DESSERT. Especially when one of my faves, BAKED ALASKA, is on the menu. Their presentation was impressive (and I think a bit unnerving for The Hubs who wasn't quite sure what was going on). It started like this...



And quickly turned to this...



The ice cream was Buttered Pecan. Mmmmm!



This dessert was probably enough for 4 people to share...I won't say if we managed to eat it all...

After dinner, we waddled our way back to our hotel for an early bedtime since we had to get up extra early the next day for our drive to Gettysburg.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment