Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Washington D.C. - Day 2

Our second full day in D.C. was mostly spent seeing the monuments & doing A LOT of walking.

We started the day at the Lincoln Memorial.





I've seen tons of pictures of the Lincoln Memorial, but had no idea just how big Abe's statue really is! I wanted to climb up & sit in his lap for a picture, but The Hubs advised that that probably wasn't a good idea considering all the "KEEP OFF THE STATUE" signs posted around.

From there we walked over to the Korean War Memorial.



There were plaques etched with the number of casualties of this war:









And then this...



Can I get an AMEN?

We continued our tour of the memorials with the World War II Memorial. It was neat to see so many Veterans there who had fought in the war & had come to pay tribute to their comrades.





After seeing the WWII Memorial, we completed the circle around the Reflecting Pool with a stop at the Vietnam Memorial. It was neat to see people finding the names of their loved ones on the wall.



Finally, we completed our touring for the day with a visit to Arlington National Cemetery. This was probably one of my favorite places on our trip just because of its meaning. The cemetery is 624 acres & is the resting place of over 300,000 Veterans & dignitaries from the Civil War to the present.





The Cherry Blossoms had begun to fall off the trees & they looked like pink snow covering the ground.



We also witnessed the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.





A guard has been on duty at the site continuously, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, since July 2, 1937. Very touching to see.

From Arlington, we headed back to our hotel to rest up for a bit before dinner.

The restaurant I chose for dinner on this particular evening I found via online digging. Once I saw the menu at Chef Geoff's & read the great reviews, I had to go there.

There were several things on the Lil' Snacks & Appetizer menus that I would have loved to try, but The Hubs wasn't feeling quite as adventurous, so we went with the Dill Potato Chips with Tzatziki. I'll be honest, I had to Google "Tzatziki" while sitting at the table. It is yogurt mixed with cucumbers, garlic, salt, olive oil, pepper, dill and sometimes lemon juice and parsley. They had me at "dill" and homemade potato chips. Delicious! If we hadn't been in public, I might have licked the bowl.



For my main course, I ordered the Chicken Trofie, Applewood Bacon, Spinach, Tomato Cream. I had to Google "Trofie", too. I love restaurants where I have to look up things on the menu because it means I'm learning & trying new things! Trofie is a thin twisted pasta with a texture similar to gnocchi.



This dish was really good, too, but again WAY MORE than I could eat...meaning no room for dessert.

(Again, my apologies for the poor quality of the pics. They were taking with my phone in dim lighting).

No comments:

Post a Comment