Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tomato Basil Couscous

I'm always in search of new side dishes. The Hubs is a bit picky about veggies, but is getting more adventurous when I put new things on his plate. Last week when my new Southern Living came, I saw this recipe for chicken & couscous. While I didn't have all the ingredients for the exact recipe, I used it as a basis for my own couscous creation. It turned out really yummy, was SUPER easy & The Hubs loved it.

Ingredients:

* 1 (10-oz.) package plain couscous
* 1 tablespoons olive oil, divided
* 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
* 2 tablespoons finely minced red onion
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* salt
* pepper



Directions:

1. Prepare couscous according to directions on package.

2. When couscous is ready, mix in olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, basil, onion & lemon juice.



3. Season with salt & pepper to taste.

4. Serve with grilled chicken, shrimp, steak, etc.



My Tid-Bits:

* My ingredient list is a bit different than what the picture shows...that was because I didn't have a red onion & HEB was out of plain couscous. When I cooked the couscous, I just left out the seasoning packet from the box.

* If you've never made couscous before, then you're missing out. It's very versatile & can be mixed with all sorts of veggies, herbs, meats, etc. And its VERY easy to make.

* As I write this post, Barefoot Contessa (love, love, love) is on Food Network making a zucchini couscous. It look delicious. I'll have to try that one next time.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment