Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Slow-Cooker Pot Roast

When I travel for work, I feel kind of guilty leaving The Hubs home alone to fend for himself. Not that he can't - he's perfectly capable (as he reminds me, "I did survive on my own before we were married.") - but I just feel like I need to leave him things to eat for dinner. Often, its just a steak he can throw on the grill with an easy side, like salad or baked beans. But sometimes I'll prepare meals before I go.

A couple of weeks ago, I was going to be gone for 2 nights so I wanted to make something he could eat the first night & have leftovers the next. Pot Roast was a great option. Before I hit the road, I threw everything in the slow-cooker. When he got home from work that night, dinner was ready and there was plenty left for the next night, too. I think he'll agree that Pot Roast beats a sandwich or bowl of cereal any day.

Ingredients:

* Beef chuck roast (2-3 pounds)
* 2 Tbsp. EVOO
* Salt & Pepper
* 1 Tbsp corn starch
* 2 Tbsp cold water
* 6 to 8 red potatoes, halved
* 4 carrots, sliced
* 1/2 medium onion, cut into large pieces
* 1 cup water
* 1 packet French Onion soup mix
* 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

1. Trim excess fat from shoulder roast & cut into 3 large pieces, if necessary to fit in your slow cooker. Season generously with salt & pepper.

2. Heat oil over high heat. Add meat & brown on all sides, about 12 minutes total.

3. Meanwhile, mix cornstarch & 2 Tbsp cold water in glass. Pour into slow-cooker & add potatoes, carrots & onions.

4. When meat is browned, place on top of veggies in the slow-cooker.

5. Add 1 cup water to the pan to deglaze. Use a wooden spoon to get all the bits off the bottom. Add the onion soup mix & Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.

6. Pour liquid over the roast & veggies.

7. Cover & cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours. Serve immediately or turn the slow-cooker to low (or off) until ready to eat.

My Tid-Bits:

* Since I wasn't home when this was finished, I didn't get to try it myself, but The Hubs swears it was excellent.

* That's also why I don't have a final photo.

* If you have any hunters in your home, you can also use venison in place of the beef.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment