Thursday, April 21, 2011

Corn & Potato Salad

Last weekend, The Hubs & I had our friends M&E over for dinner. The weather was PERFECT, so we decided to do some grilling and let our dogs play together in the backyard. (I'm not sure who enjoyed the evening better - us or the dogs).

We had eaten a HUGE dinner with M&E the night before at Taste of Texas to celebrate their upcoming wedding, so we kept our cookout light with grilled shrimp, a green salad & a new recipe from Southern Living - Corn & Potato Salad. It was delish!

Ingredients:

* 1 lb. small red potatoes (I used 4 large ones)
* 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
* 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
* 2 Tbsp olive oil
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp pepper
* 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 6 ears - or 1 bag frozen)
* 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
* 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
* 1 avocado, diced (optional)


Directions:

1. Bring potatoes and salted cold water to cover to a boil in a large Dutch oven; boil 6-10 minutes or just until tender. Drain and let cool 15 minutes.


2. Whisk together cilantro and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl.

3. Add warm potatoes & corn.

4. Add bell pepper & onion; toss to coat. If using avocado, add right before serving.

5. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

My Tid-Bits:

* The recipe calls for small red potatoes, which you could boil whole. I used larger ones, so I cut them into bite size pieces and didn't boil them quite as long.

* If you decide to use frozen corn, like I did, pour it into some hot water for 4-5 minutes to defrost. Drain before adding to the salad.

* If you're looking for a quick, easy, tasty & fresh side dish - this is a great one!! I'll be making it again this weekend for Easter.

I hope that everyone has a wonderful, safe & blessed Easter weekend!

1 comment:

  1. YUM--I might just use this as a side dish for a party next week. Looks really tasty :)

    ReplyDelete