Sunday, March 21, 2010

Pumpkin Pancakes

Every year when September 1st rolls around, I go into full Fall mode (even though it's still hotter than Hades here in Houston). I pull out my Fall decorations, purchase mini gourds at the store to put on my coffee table and pull out all of our Aggie football gear.

I also start making all kinds of Fall goodies in the kitchen. Recipes involving apples or pumpkins are always at the top of my list. A couple of years ago, I came across a WONDERFUL Pumpkin Pancake recipe from Martha Stewart.

The Hubs & I like them so much, they are no longer reserved just for fall.

Ingredients:

* 1 1/4 cups flour
* 2 Tbsp. sugar
* 2 tsp. baking powder
* 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 tsp. ginger
* 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
* 1 pinch cloves (optional)
* 1 cup milk
* 6 Tbsp. canned pumpkin puree
* 2 Tbsp. melted butter
* 1 egg
* butter & syrup for serving



Directions:

1. In a mixing bowl, combine first 8 ingredients - flour through cloves.



2. In another mixing bowl, whisk together milk, pumpkin, melted butter & egg.



3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients & mix until just combined.



4. Grease & preheat your griddle or skillet to 350 or medium-high.

5. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake.



6. Pancakes are ready to flip when they are bubbly on top.



7. Flip & cook until pancakes are cooked through (about another 3 minutes).



8. Serve with butter & maple syrup.



Yield: 14-16 pancakes

My Tid-Bits:

* These pancakes are very dense & filling! If you're making these for a crowd, allow 3 - 4 pancakes per person. This recipe can easily be doubled.

* If I have leftover pancakes, I put them in a Ziploc bag, remove the air & toss them in the freezer. They are easy to reheat for a yummy breakfast during the week.

* Warm cinnamon apples make a great side dish to go with these pancakes.

* Each pancake has about 65 calories and 2g fat. We won't count the calories in the butter & syrup.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment