Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Orzo Pasta Salad

Ever since I made Rachel Ray's Toasted Orzo Chicken Soup (see here), I've been wanting the use the other 1/2 bag of orzo pasta I had left. I Googled some recipes, but couldn't find one that was just what I wanted, so I went with what I thought sounded good and it turned out...GREAT! I love successful kitchen experiments!

This Orzo Pasta Salad makes a great, refreshing side dish. I can be served hot or cold. Both are good.

I apologize in advance for the poor job on pictures. I was in a hurry to get dinner on the table.

Ingredients:

* 1 cup dry orzo pasta
* 1 medium zucchini, sliced
* 1/2 large red onion, diced
* 8 - 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
* 1/2 jar of roasted red peppers, diced
* 1 large carrot, shredded
* 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
* 3-4 large basil leaves, chopped
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* olive oil
* salt
* pepper

Directions:

1. Bring 4 quarts salted water to a boil. Add 1 cup orzo pasta. Cook 8-9 minutes or according to directions on package.

2. Meanwhile, add 1 Tbs. olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Add onion & zucchini and saute until tender.



3. When pasta is done, drain well.



4. Toss pasta with sauteed zucchini & onion, parsley, basil, red peppers, carrot & tomatoes.



5. Whisk together lemon juice, 3 Tbs. olive oil, salt & pepper (to taste).



6. Pour dressing over pasta & toss to coat.



My Tid-Bits:

* I was really excited at how well this turned out the first time around. The Hubs really liked it,too!

* This would be great for a luncheon or shower! Serve chilled & top with some Feta.

* Makes 6 good sized servings with 250 calories each.

* If you need a quick weeknight meal, combine this pasta with one of these chickens & you have a fast, easy dinner!



.

No comments:

Post a Comment