Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday Morsel from Mom (5th Edition)

Mexican Frito Salad

This week's "Monday Morsel From Mom" isn't really all that unique. In fact, your mom may have made something similar when you were a kid. All I know is that it is SUPER easy, tasty and uses Catalina dressing (which I don't know that I have any other use for).

If I recall correctly, this isn't something my dad particularly cares for. It seems as though we would have this for dinner if dad had a meeting or was camping with the Boy Scouts. And I don't think that I've made this one for The Hubs because when I mentioned it one time, he kind of turned his nose up. Then again, neither my dad, nor my husband really care for salads, so I say their opinions don't count. I say it's good and you should try it! In fact, I think I might make this for myself while The Hubs is gone for a few days later this month. I'll post pics then.

Ingredients:

* 1 head iceberg lettuce, torn in bite size pieces
* 1 large tomato, chopped
* 1 small onion, sliced
* 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
* 1 can ranch style beans
* 1 chopped avocado
* Fritos
* Kraft Catalina dressing



Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients except Fritos, beans & dressing in large salad bowl.



2. Drain most of the juice off the beans & add 2/3 of the can. Add Fritos & dressing to taste. Toss together.



3. Optional: Serve topped with chicken & an extra splash of Catalina dressing.



My Tid-Bits:

* This may not look like much, but I promise it is TASTY!

* Typically we eat this as a whole meal, not just a side salad.

* I omit the onions because I personally don't care for raw onion. Yuk.

* If you have some left over chicken, dice it up & toss it in. Mmmm!

* This is great for those weeks that you know you'll be super busy. The ingredient list is short & it literally takes about 10 minutes to make from start to finish.

1 comment:

  1. soo yummy! I had my own recipe and decided to see what was out there and yours was great!

    ReplyDelete