Thursday, February 25, 2010

Shrimp-and-Squash Penne Pasta



You guys are going to start to think that The Hubs & I eat only seafood. That's really not the case. We eat lots of chicken & red meat, too. I just seem to find share-worthy seafood recipes more often.

I found this Shrimp-and Squash Penne Pasta recipe in Cooking Light. I love it because it's fast & REALLY easy.

I'm going to share with you all the original recipe, but please note in "My Tid-Bits" the adjustments I make when cooking for only 2 people.


Ingredients:

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 4 cups thinly sliced yellow squash (about 4 small)
* 3 cups thinly sliced zucchini (about 2)
* 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
* 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 4 cups hot cooked penne (about 1/2 pound uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
* 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh chives or green onions
* 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese



Directions:

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

2. Add squash and zucchini, and sauté 10 minutes.



3. Add shrimp; sauté 3 minutes.



4. Add juice and next 5 ingredients (juice through garlic); cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are done.



5. Combine shrimp mixture, pasta, chives, and cheese in a large bowl; toss gently.



My Tid-Bits

* If you make this recipe exactly as above, you're going to have A LOT of food! Typically when I make this for just The Hubs & I, I make the following adjustments:
1. Use 1 medium zucchini and 1 medium squash
2. Decrease shrimp to 1/2 lb.
3. Cut back on the pasta by 1/3 to 1/2
4. Use a tiny bit less basil & oregano - maybe 3/4 tsp.
5. Leave everything else the same

* If you saute your squash & zucchini for 10 minutes, it might be too mushy. Keep an eye on it & saute according to your taste. Remember it will cook a bit more while the shrimp are cooking.

* If you want to make it a bit more healthy, decrease the pasta & increase the veggies & shrimp OR serve over rice.

* If you follow the original recipe, this dish makes 5 LARGE servings with 350 calories each.

No comments:

Post a Comment