Friday, February 26, 2010

English Muffin Brulee

A few weeks ago, The Hubs and I took a weekend trip to the Alamo City. We actually make that trip quite frequently because so many of our close friends live there and we just love SA. This particular weekend, we stayed with my college roommate, A. I see A fairly often, but since I hadn't seen her parents (who are hilarious & so kind) in quite some time, I suggested we meet them for breakfast one day.

On Sunday morning, we meet A's parents at one of their favorite breakfast spots, Le Peep. I had never been to Le Peep before and as I browsed the menu, I was overwhelmed at the number of breakfast options. I finally narrowed it down to 2 things:

1. Gooey Buns™ - An English muffin broiled with brown sugar, cinnamon and almonds.

Or

2. A full meal of pancakes, bacon, eggs, etc.

Option 1 sounded oh so delicious, but I was SUPER hungry, so I went with Option 2, convincing myself that I could totally make Option 1 at home for myself. So the following week, I did just that. And although they didn't sound too complex to make, I was curious to see if I could find the recipe (or a copy cat) online. So I did what I do with everything....I Googled it.

Y'all, whatever you do...DO NOT GOOGLE GOOEY BUNS!!! OH MY! I won't even begin to tell you what type of websites came up in the results, but you can guess. I immediately freaked out because I was on my work computer. No telling what my IT guy would think if he looked at my internet history and saw that. Eesh!!

So I promptly renamed my version English Muffin Brulee. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

* English Muffins
* Brown Sugar
* Spreadable Butter or Margarine
* Cinnamon
* Sliced Roasted Almonds (optional)



Directions:

1. Set the broiler on the oven to high.

2. Split you English muffins & spread both halves with butter.

3. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon.



4. Top with a layer of brown sugar. It should be at least 1/8" thick.




5. Place your English muffins on a pan & put into the oven under the broiler.

6. Your English Muffin Brulee is done with the brown sugar on top is melted, golden brown & bubbly. Be sure to watch them closely while under the broiler. This process happens quickly & you don't want them to burn.



7. Top with sliced roasted almonds.



My Tid-Bits

* For the sliced roasted almonds, I bought sliced almonds at the grocery, spread them out on a baking sheet & baked at 325 for 5-7 minutes.

* If you are like me and like your English muffins crispy, pop them in the toaster before spreading on the butter.

* In the picture you may notice I put mine on a rack, then on a pan. I did this do get the bottoms a little more crisp. Just personal preference.

* I've never actually had Le Peep's version, so I can't say they taste the exact same, but I can promise they are tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment