Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Easy Taco Soup

My Easy Taco Soup recipe is one created out of necessity. And its never the exact same. This is something I make when I don't have time (or am too lazy) to make a trip to the grocery store and The Hubs doesn't want to go out to eat. I typically have all of the necessary ingredients in my pantry & refrigerator. But if I don't, I improvise (hence why I said its never the exact same).

Ingredients

* 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
* 15 oz can Beans Black
* 1 packet Taco Seasoning
* 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix
* 1/2 medium onion, diced
* 10 oz can Ro-tel
* 8.75 oz. can Whole Kernel Corn
* 14 1/2 oz can Diced Tomatoes
* 1 cup frozen or 1 can Green Beans
* 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
* 1 cup Beer
* 1/2 cup Monterey Jack Cheese
* 1 lime, sliced



Directions

1. In a dutch oven, brown ground beef with chopped onion. Drain & return to pot.



2. Add remaining ingredients to dutch oven, except for green beans, cilantro, cheese & lime.



3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in green beans. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes.



4. Serve in soup bowls & top with cheese, cilantro & a squeeze of lime.



My Tid-Bits:

* You can use this recipe as a guideline & add/change ingredients according to what you have in your pantry. Ex. Use kidney beans instead of black beans.

* The Rotel makes this soup a little spicy. If you're making it for kiddos, you may want to use the mild Rotel or just sub in a 2nd can of diced tomatoes.

* You probably wondering why on earth I would put beer in taco soup. It adds a good flavor. Trust me. Just don't use some fruity-off-the-wall beer. I've used Shiner, Coors Light & Tecate and all are good. Oh, and since this recipe doesn't use a whole can, I always give the leftovers to The Hubs to drink.

* I usually serve this soup with tortilla chips or corn bread. And it is VERY good (almost better) the next day.

* This recipe makes 6 large bowlfuls, with about 365 calories each.

No comments:

Post a Comment