Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sauteed Spinach with Mushrooms

Over the weekend, The Hubs & I had planned to grill steaks for dinner. I had bought some corn on the cob serve as a side, but wanted something else to go with it. I dug around in the refrigerator & pulled out some baby spinach and sliced baby bella mushrooms. After browsing a few websites for inspiration, I grabbed a few other ingredients & made my first attempt at Sauteed Spinach with Mushrooms. Luckily, it turned out delicious!! Even The Hubs, who doesn't usually care for spinach, liked it!

Ingredients:

* 1 Tbsp. butter
* 1 tsp. EVOO
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 5 green onions, green & white parts, thinly slicked
* 5 oz. sliced mushrooms
* 2 Tbsp. red wine
* 1/4 cup chicken broth
* Half of a 6 oz. bag of spinach
* salt & pepper


Directions:

1. In a large skillet, melt 1 Tbsp. butter with 1 tsp. EVOO. Add garlic & onions and saute 3-4 minutes.


2. Add the mushrooms & saute until they are soft & begin to release their liquid, 5-8 minutes.



3. Add red wine & chicken broth. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes.


4. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted & heated through, another 2 minutes.


5. Serve while still hot.


My-Tid Bits:

* You can use whatever mushrooms you have on hand. I just like portabellos the best.

* This made enough for 2 people, but the recipe can easily be doubled.

* The mushrooms went especially well with the steak. I might make the mushrooms alone as a topping next time we have company over for steaks.

* And, yes, I did use red wine straight from my own glass. It was a Shiraz. Kilikanoon Killermans Run, to be exact. And its good!

No comments:

Post a Comment