Thursday, October 7, 2010

Honey Marinated Pork Chops (or Chicken)

The Hubs loves pork chops. Me? Not so much. It's a texture thing. So I don't make them very often. And by not often, I mean never. (I also don't make two of his other favorites - meatloaf & fried chicken. If he wants them that badly, he can go visit his mother).

However, the October issue to Martha Stewart Everyday Food, featured a recipe for a honey marinade that sounded really good. Only one problem...Martha used the marinade to make grilled pork chops. Now, she did say you could use it on chicken instead, but I decided to be a big girl & try the pork chops. If nothing else, my husband would be happy.

So I tried it...

I ate half of my pork chop...

It was okay...

But next time I'm having chicken.

The marinade, however, was delicious!

Ingredients:

* 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
* 1/4 cup honey
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
* ground pepper
* 2 or 3 pork chops (or chicken breasts)



Directions:

1. In a bowl, whisk together all ingredients.



2. Place the pork chops in a Ziploc bag and pour 1/2 of the marinade over them, reserving the other half for another use (see below).


3. Refrigerate for at least one hour (up to 3 hours) before grilling, baking or pan frying. (We grilled ours).


My Tid-Bits:

* The marinade can be used for other things as well. Martha suggests: Adding it to shredded cabbage to make a sweet-and-sour slaw; Tossing it with steamed cauliflower or broccoli; Marinating firm tofu and baking or grilling (I guess that would be good, if you like that kind of thing); OR using it as a salad dressing. That's what I did and it was tasty!



* The Hubs actually used some of the left over marinade as a sauce & poured it on his pork chop.

* If you do grill the pork chops, be sure not to over cook them. They dry out & get tough very easily. (Although, next time I'm sticking with chicken).

* When I made my grocery list, I forgot to check & see if I already had Red Wine Vinegar in the pantry, so I just grabbed a bottle at the store. Apparently that's not the first time I've done that....

Oops!!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment