Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday Morsel from Mom (6th Edition)

Does anyone else ever catch themselves doing something and think "Oh gosh...I'm turning into my mother"? Anyone? I hope it's not just me. (Not that turning into my mother is necessarily a bad thing - LOVE YOU MOM).

For years, my sister & I have made fun of my mom for being so neurotic when it comes to hosting showers & parties. It's just a given that she will show up with food items that were not on the menu we all agreed to. Vegetables have to be sliced just so. And if you arrange something on a tray, you can be sure that she will rearrange it until it is just perfect (my brother-in-law learned this the hard way at his first Christmas Eve party at my parents house & it's been a running joke ever since).

Unfortunately, my siblings & I have inherited some of these neurotic tendencies. For example, when we have people to our lake house for holiday weekends, I meticulously plan out the menu, even going as far as to create a spreadsheet detailing each menu item, who is responsible for bringing it, etc. And it's inevitable that I'm going to try & control the kitchen. I just can't help it! I blame the genes. At least I can admit that I'm a kitchen-control-freak. Luckily, most of my friends have learned to live with it & love me anyway. :)

Anyway...this weekend was just another prime example of "I'm turning into (ahem...or blame) my mother." We were helping to host a baby shower for our dear friends J&L and their bun in the oven, JP. My sole food responsibility was lettuce, tomatoes & onions for the burgers. I showed up with lettuce, tomatoes & onion...along with bacon, avocados, caramelized onions and trays with pretty lettuce for arranging. Oh...and I brought corn dip. :) What can I say? I'm my mother's daughter.

The corn dip, which is one of mom's recipes, was a huge hit & I promised to share the recipe. So, here you go:

Ingredients:

* 2 - 11 oz. cans Mexican Corn, drained
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1 cup mayonnaise
* 5 green onions, thinly sliced
* 1 - 4 oz. can chopped green chilis
* 3 jalapenos, seeded & minced
* 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
* 1/4 tsp. black pepper
* 1 package (2 cups) grated cheddar cheese



Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.



2. Mix really well.



3. Cover & refrigerate for at least 4 hours (overnight is best).

4. Serve with tortilla chips.



My Tid-Bits:

* You may notice in my ingredients picture I bought whole green chilis. Don't do that. I just grabbed the wrong can, which added another step in my process.

* After your dip has been in the refrigerator for 4 hours, give it a stir. If it looks a bit dry, add another 1/4 cup of sour cream.

* DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT EVER EVER EVER try & substitute Miracle Whip in dips. In tuna fish? Okay. In dips? Not okay.

2 comments:

  1. This is the most addicting and delicious dip ever made! Thanks for sharing with all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, made this for Thanksgiving/Football and everyone went crazy!

    ReplyDelete