Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday Morsel FOR Mom

Since Mother's Day was yesterday, I thought I'd change my Monday Morsel From Mom to Monday Morsel For Mom & share with you all the Mother's Day lunch we made yesterday.

The intent was for me to make lunch for my mom; however, my mother can't just stand around and watch other people cook. She has to join in. (All of my friends are laughing right now because I'm the exact same way. I can't help it...it's genetic). So instead, I made lunch WITH my mom. And it was GOOD!

I came up with a (relatively) healthy menu & bought all of the ingredients. Mom, The Hubs & my dad all pitched in to help prepare. (Unfortunately, I didn't take a single picture).

The Menu:

Tzatziki with Pita Chips

A trio of grilled kabobs
* Garlic Jalapeno Shrimp (from this recipe)
* Filet Mignon
* Italian Chicken Breast

Grilled Vegetables w/ Fresh Herbs
* Squash
* Zucchini
* Mushrooms
* Eggplant
* Red Onion
* Red & Green Peppers

Spring Salad with Strawberries, Pecans, Almonds, Feta & Raspberry Vinaigrette

Dinner Rolls

Raspberry Tiramisu


At some point, I'll share the recipes fro the salad & tiramisu because both are definitely worth passing along.

But today, I want to share the Tzatziki recipe from Barefoot Contessa that I used. You may recall that I first discovered Tzatziki at Chef Geoff's on our D.C. trip. It is probably one of the most healthy dips you can find & it's full of flavor.

Ingredients

* 2 (7-ounce) containers Greek yogurt (recommended: Fage)
* 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled and seeded
* 1/4 cup light sour cream
* 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
* 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

1. Place the yogurt in a medium bowl.

2. Grate the cucumber on a box grater and squeeze the grated cucumber with your hand to remove some of the liquid.

3. Add it to the yogurt along with the sour cream, lemon juice, vinegar, dill, garlic, salt and pepper and stir.

4. Serve with pita chips, cucumber slices, carrots...anything good for dipping!

My Tid-Bits:

* I used the 2% Fage Greek Yogurt & Light Sour Cream

* By using these ingredients, this recipes yields 8 servings with only 47 calories and 1.6 grams of fat per serving. You won't find many other dips that low in calories or fat.

* When grating the cucumber, use the larger side of the grater to make cucumber shreds. I actually only used about 1/2 the cucumber to mix into the dip.

* When adding the salt, add 1 tsp. and then taste it with your dipping medium of choice. I was serving this dip with pita chips that were already a bit salty, so 1 tsp was plenty.

* This is definitely a recipe that I will continue to use for get-togethers, showers, etc.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment