Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Flounder with Tomato Basil Couscous

Last night, I finally had time to prepare a real dinner at home for The Hubs. I had just one problem. Although I went to the grocery store twice last week, neither time did I buy groceries for OUR house. So I had to make due with what I found in the freezer & pantry. From frozen flounder fillets, a box of couscous & a few other kitchen staples, I managed to make a pretty good dinner.

Ingredients

For the Couscous:

* 3/4 cup plain couscous
* 3/4 cup chicken stock
* 2 tsp. EVOO
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 can diced tomatoes, drained (or chopped fresh tomato)
* fresh basil, chopped (about 4 big leaves)
* juice from 1/2 a lemon



For the Fish:

* fish fillets (I used flounder, but any white fish would do)
* 1/2 cup flour
* 1 tsp. lemon pepper
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
* 2 Tbsp. EVOO
* lemon juice for serving

Directions:

1. In a saucepan, bring chicken broth, 2 tsp. EVOO & salt to a boil. Stir in the couscous & lemon juice. Remove from heat, cover & let stand for 5 minutes.

2. After 5 minutes, stir in the chopped basil & tomatoes. Season with salt to taste. Recover & let stand until ready to serve.



3. In the meantime, combine flour, lemon pepper, salt & garlic powder in a dish or on a plate.



4. Heat 2 Tbsp. EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat.

5. Dredge fish fillets in flour mixture and add to pan. Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until cooked through.



6. To serve, top couscous with fish & a squeeze of lemon juice.



My Tid-Bits:

* Be sure to check the directions on your couscous box. You may need to adjust the amount of chicken broth/water.

* Use as much or little of the tomatoes & basil to flavor your couscous to your liking.

* I normally would had served this with a real vegetable, like green beans, but again...I need to go grocery shopping.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment