Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lime Tortilla Crusted Chicken Tenders

Weekend before last, I went home to see the folks. It never fails that when I leave, I have an HEB bag full of goodies from mom. Some are homemade, others are things she found at the grocery that she thought looked good or things she had left over from a party. This time my goody bag contained a bag of Tostitos Hint of Lime tortilla chips. At the time I didn't know what I would do with them.

Fast forward to this past weekend when I decided it was time to actually organize my recipe book. It was a mess! It was full of torn out pages from magazines, print outs from the internet & post-it notes with recipes in barely legible handwriting. As I punched holes & put things in there appropriate category, I came across a recipe torn out of an old Southern Living for Lime Tortilla Crusted Chicken Tenders that called for Lime Tortilla chips!! Eureka! A use for my mom's gifted chips!

So I made them last night. I'll be completely honest. They were good, but really needed some type of dipping sauce.

Ingredients:

* 2 large eggs
* 1 (2-lb.) package frozen chicken tenderloins, thawed
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 3/4 cups finely crushed lime-flavored tortilla chips
* Garnishes: fresh cilantro sprigs, lime wedges



Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425º.

2. Put Lime Tortilla chips in a ziploc & crush to tiny pieces. Pour crushed chips into a shallow dish.





3. In another shallow dish, whisk together eggs and 1 Tbsp. water until blended.



4. In a third shallow dish, combine flour, salt & pepper.



5. Dredge each tender in flour; then dip in egg mixture, and dredge in crushed tortilla chips.







6. Place chicken on a lightly greased wire rack on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.



7. Bake at 425º for 15 to 20 minutes or until done.



My Tid-Bits:

* I only used 5 chicken tenders, but the same amount of everything else.

* When it comes time to prepare the tenders, it's easiest to line up your dishes and the baking sheet so you can transfer from one to the next easily.



* Like I said, the tenders were good...they were very crisp & I liked the texture. However, they could have used a bit more flavor. Next time I will serve with some type of ranch or creamy cilantro dip.

* See the potatoes in the picture above?? I'll tell you how I make those next time.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment