Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday Morsel from Mom

Chicken with Carrots & Onions

My momma is a fabulous cook! There is no doubt that my siblings & I get our love of being in the kitchen from her. Growing up, my Mom cooked pretty much every night of the week and twice on Sundays. I don't quite live up to that standard, but I'm trying.

A couple of years ago, mom compiled many of our favorite recipes and shared them with her 4 children. She said she wanted to make sure we all had them for keepsake reasons. Personally, I think she was just tired of us constantly calling and asking "Can you tell me how to make such-and-such again?" All of these recipes are now in my recipe book, covered with flour & who-knows-what-else from being used over & over again. (I think the recipe cards being covered in "ingredients" gives them character; the Hubs thinks their just dirty).

One of the Hubs favorite recipes from my momma's collection is Chicken with Carrots & Onions. I also like this dish a lot for 2 reasons: 1. It's yummy. 2. It is easy & fast. It makes the perfect dinner for a week night. And on top of that, it's on the healthy side. Needless to say, this one is in my regular rotation of meals.

Ingredients

* 1/3 cup Flour
* 1 tsp Salt
* 1 tsp Paprika
* 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
* 1/2 tsp Rubbed Sage
* 3 Chicken Breasts (boneless,skinless)
* 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
* Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
* 1 medium Onion, sliced thin
* 1 cup Carrots, chopped
* 2 cup Water
* 2 tsp Chicken Granulated Bouillon



Directions

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl.


2. Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness & cut in half (or if you're like me & only have chicken tenders on this particular night, those work, too).

3. Heat oil in a pan on the stove. Coat the chicken in the flour mixture. Add the chicken to the pan and brown on both sides (2-3 minutes per side is plenty - the chicken will finish cooking later). Remove chicken, set aside on a plate & cover with foil.




4. Add 2 Tablespoons of remaining flour mixture to the pan. Using a whisk, mix the flour with the pan drippings for 2 minutes to create a roux.



5. Add water & chicken granules. Stir well with whisk. Then add onion, carrots & lemon juice.



6. Return the chicken to the pan. Cover & simmer for 25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.



7. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.



My Tid-Bits

* To be completely honest, I had never had this dish with rice before tonight. I didn't have any potatoes on hand, so I subbed in the rice & it was excellent!

* For those who don't like onions, try this anyway. I hated onions when I was a kid (still don't care for them raw) and loved this dish anyway.

* I'm not really a fan of eating left overs. I'm very picky about what I will reheat to eat the next day. This, however, is one of the few things I will gladly eat for lunch the next day.

* This recipe makes about 4 servings, each with approximately 325 calories (not including potatoes or rice).

Oh, and while I was cooking dinner, The Hubs pulled these out of the pantry for a snack:



So much for a healthy dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment