Monday, July 11, 2011

Grilled Portabellos with Steak & Carmelized Onions

When I was a kid, I detested mushrooms. All of them. They were slimy and spongy and had an odd flavor. I would always try them, thinking maybe one day I'd like them, but to no avail.

And then I met portabello mushrooms. They were different. Portabellos had a different taste & texture and I liked them. Since then, I've come to like all kinds of mushrooms, but portabellos are still my favorite. They can be used in all types of dishes or can stand on their own.


A couple of weeks back, The Hubs wanted steak for dinner, so I decided to grab a couple of portabellos to throw on the grill alongside the steak. And for good measure, I caramelized some onions to go with them. Everything turned out wonderfully delicious!

Ingredients:

* Portabello mushrooms, large
* Steak of your choice
* Caramelized onions
* Extra virgin olive oil
* Italian seasoning

Directions:

1. Prep the mushrooms by chopping off the stem of the mushroom at the base...


And wiping the cap off with a damp cloth to get off as much dirt as possible. DO NOT RUN IT UNDER WATER. (As we used to say when we were little, "God made dirt. Dirt don't hurt.")


Whether or not you scoop out the gills is up to you.

2. Lightly brush both sides with EVOO.

3. Season with Italian Seasoning.


4. Throw on the grill with your steak, cooking the mushrooms about 5 minutes per side.


5. Slice and serve with your grilled steak & caramelized onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment