Friday, June 17, 2011

We Took A Little Vacay...(Part II)

Let's see...when I left off yesterday, The Hubs & I had just enjoyed room service with a view at the end of Day 3 and gone to bed early.

Day 4:

This was a FULL day. We were scheduled for a couples massage at our resort, The Sanderling, at 9:00. We headed over to get our massages, which was new for The Hubs. It was his first & probably last. The massages were mediocre and just a little awkward. Oh well.

After the massages, we headed back down the island to Kitty Hawk to visit the Wright Brothers Memorial and see the sight where Orville & Wilbur took the first flight on Dec. 17, 1903.

From there, we drove to Nags Head to climb Jockey's Ridge - 426 acres of the tallest sand dunes in the eastern United States. Let me just say, climbing in sand + 100 degree heat = not easy! But the view from the top made it well worth the climb. If only we'd had a sled to slide down on!

That little spec in the middle is The Hubs. I had to stop to empty sand from my shoes half way up and when I looked up, he was WAY ahead of me.

After the climb, we were hot, parched & starving. At the recommendation of my friend, Erin, we grabbed lunch at a little dive called Tortuga's Lie. It didn't disappoint. We spent the afternoon back at the resort laying on the beach, enjoying the view and finally relaxing a bit.

The View

The water was a little cold & rough.

We spent most of the afternoon with our toes in the sand.

That night, we got dressed up & enjoyed a nice dinner at one of our resort's well-known restaurants, The Lifesaving Station. Delish!

Day 5:

I set my alarm for 5:40 so that I could get up & take some pics of the beautiful sunrise, after which I promptly got back in bed.

When The Hubs & I got up we fit in a little more beach time before we had to leave for our next destination.

There were crabs ALL OVER the place that morning. They were so fun to watch.

After checking out of our hotel, we headed north to Corolla with hopes of finding the wild horses. To get to them, you have to drive 6 miles up the beach where there are no paved roads. We had a 4WD vehicle, so we thought we'd give it a shot. After about a mile, we had already seen 5 cars stuck in the sand - some with 4WD - and we decided to abandon our adventure for fear of being stuck in the sand all day. I was pretty bummed we didn't get to see the wild horses. I guess we'll just have to go back another time.

With that, our time at the Outer Banks had come to an end. We hit the road to spend the 2nd half of our trip in Hampton, VA - hometown and wedding destination of our dear friends Erin & Mike. We arrived at Erin's parents' house in time to help with some wedding prep, cook dinner & enjoy a nice evening on their back patio watching the sun set over the water.

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment