Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Scout Salsa

The Hubs & I spent Memorial Day weekend at the lake with our friends, M&E and all of our pups. We had a great time relaxing, eating & letting the dogs run wild. Cannon even got to go for a boat ride & swim...


(She loved the boat ride...especially the wind blowing in her face. The swim on the other hand wasn't her favorite).

As I was throwing together the menu (very last minute - at least for me), I decided I wanted to make some homemade salsa. I knew my mom had a simple recipe for a salsa that my dad just loves, so I emailed her to get it. I found out why my dad loves it so much - it's a recipe from one of his Boy Scouts. Hence the name, Scout Salsa. It could not be more easy to make.


Ingredients:

  • 2 15 oz. cans stewed tomatoes (Del Monte Original Recipe)
  • 2-3 dried chile arbol
  • 2 jalapeƱo peppers, seeded & quartered
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro – just cut off the bottom 2” or so of the stems
  • 3/4 t. Kosher salt
  • 1/2 t. garlic powder

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a blender. Process for 20-30 seconds, stir. Process until peppers & cilantro are evenly chopped.

2. Serve with tortilla chips.

3. Store in the refrigerator & use within 3-4 days.

I told you it was easy!

My Tid-Bits:

* Dad likes this best on the day it’s made. Luckily, its really fast to make.

* Mom says she sometimes holds back a few tomatoes from one of the cans & add them at the end to give the sauce a little more body.

* You can also drain off some of the juice for a thicker salsa.

* The heat varies with the jalapeƱos. Leave in a few seeds if your peppers are too mild.

No comments:

Post a Comment