Friday, March 4, 2011

National Pound Cake Day

Happy National Pound Cake Day!!

Until today, I didn't know that such a day existed, but I'll happily celebrate it! I love pound cake. Over the years, I've made MANY different versions of pound cake: raspberry, cream cheese, chocolate, etc. But one of my favorites has got to be peach. My mom shared this recipe with me and it is WONDERFUL!

Ingredients:

1 c. softened butter or margarine

3 c. sugar

6 eggs

3 c. flour

1/2 t. basking soda

3/4 t. salt

1/2 c. sour cream

2 c. peaches (fresh or frozen), peeled & chopped fine

2 t. vanilla

2 t. almond extract

1/4 to 1/3 c. Peach Schnapps + extra to brush warm cake

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325. Grease & flour one medium loaf pan and a bundt pan.

2. Pour Peach Schnapps over chopped peaches & set aside while you prepare batter.

3. Cream butter & sugar until light.

4. Beat in eggs one at a time.

5. Stir in flavorings, salt, & soda.

6. Add flour, alternating with sour cream and peaches.

7. Pour batter into prepared pans & bake until cake tests done. Loaf should take 30 to 40 minutes, the bundt cake an extra 15 to 20. Cool in the pan 10 minutes. Turn onto serving plate & brush with more Peach Schnapps while still warm.


Freezes well.

If desired, glaze with a mixture of powdered sugar & Peach Schnapps before serving – about 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar & enough Schnapps to make desired consistency.

Now I'm off to the College Classic at Minute Maid Park to watch some Aggie Baseball! Whoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment