Monday, November 1, 2010

Soy-Ginger Fish & Veggies in a Pouch

Last week, I made this delicious dish (inspired by a similar dish from my Cooking Light cookbook) for The Hubs & I for dinner. It's super simple - the hardest part is chopping the vegetables - and relatively quick to make.

I used several different vegetables, including green onion, carrot, red bell pepper, mushrooms & green beans. Feel free to substitute your favorite veggies.

Ingredients:

* lime juice from 2 limes
*1/4 cups low-sodium soy sauce
* 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled & grated
* 1 jalapeno, seeds removed & finely diced
* 6 green onions (green & white parts), finely chopped
* carrots, shredded
* green beans (fresh or frozen)
* sliced mushrooms (I used baby bella)
* red bell pepper, thinly sliced
* 2 (6 oz) fish fillets (I used mahi mahi)
* 4 oz. spaghetti,
* chopped cilantro


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and chop veggies accordingly.


2. Combine lime juice, soy sauce, ginger & jalapeno in a bowl large enough to dip fish fillets.


3. Lay 2 (16 inch) pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil on a work surface.

4. Layer vegetables in the center of the foil in this order: carrots, onions, green beans, mushrooms & bell pepper. You can use as much or as little of each as you like. (I piled on A LOT of everything).


5. Dip fish in soy/lime mixture...


and place on top of the vegetables. Then spoon remaining mixture over the fish & veggies.


6. Fold foil around fish & veggies, creating a sealed pouch. Place on rimmed baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes. While fish bake, cook spaghetti according to package directions.


7. Let pouches stand for 3 minutes. Carefully open pouches and serve fish & veggies over cooked spaghetti noodles. Top with cilantro.


My Tid-Bits:

* This was FULL of flavor and had a great mixture of textures (which I love).

* Next time, I'll substitute sugar snap peas for the green beans. I just think they'd be better.

* Be VERY careful when opening the pouches. Steam will pour out & burn your little fingers!

P.S. Tonight I'm making The Pioneer Woman's Roasted Vegetable Minestrone to enjoy while we watch the Texans on Monday Night Football and wait for the cooler weather to arrive. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment