Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Bailey's Buttercream Icing

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions because no one ever keeps them.  However, for 2014, I decided that each month I'm going to challenge myself to one thing that betters my health, fitness or eating habits.  My hope is that committing to something for a full month will create new & better habits.

I started off the year with a big one. I gave up French fries for the month of January.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I, Nancy, gave up French fries.  That may not seem like a big deal to some of you, but those who know me well would tell you this is huge!  I LOVE FRENCH FRIES!  And as embarrassing as it is to admit, I was probably eating them 3+ times a week.  I went cold turkey at the beginning of the month & thus far, I haven't eaten a single French fry.  Not even when The Hubs ordered a big basket of them at lunch last week.  Not even when we went to dinner with friends and the waitress handed me a plate with fries nestled next to my sandwich even though I asked for a substitution.  Needless to say, I'm pretty proud of myself.

However...what I've saved in calories & fat grams from French fries, I've made up in this tasty, delicious Bailey's Buttercream Icing.  I've made it twice in the last 4 weeks.  I might be addicted.  It's so easy to make and goes perfectly with simple chocolate cake.

If you're in need of an easy & yummy dessert, I highly recommend this one.




BAILEY'S BUTTERCREAM ICING


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 6 Tbsp Bailey's (or other Irish Cream Liqueur)
  • 2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
Directions:

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy.   Slowly add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until combined.  Pour in the Bailey's and beat slowly until combined.  Increase the speed to high & beat for 1 minute.  Add whipping cream and beat again for 1-2 minutes until light & fluffy.  If the icing is too thin, add a little more powdered sugar.  If it is too stiff, add a splash of Bailey's.

Spread icing onto a prepared chocolate cake or pipe onto cupcakes (or just eat it straight out of the bowl). 

My Tid-Bits:

* I've also made this same recipe using Kahlua.  It's delicious, as well.

* I have a confession.  When I make a plain chocolate cake, I use a box mix.  Why reinvent the wheel, right?

(I almost didn't buy this brand because it has the "M" word on the front.  Worst. Word. Ever).

* I'm not great at icing cakes.  I can never get the icing to smooth out just right.  My solution?  Cover up the imperfections with toppings (like sliced, toasted almonds) or pipe frosting along the edges. 

* If you're looking for me on February 1st, I'll be a Chick-fil-A stuffing my face with waffle fries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment