Tuesday, August 9, 2011
My Grill Basket & Grilled Veggies with Basil-Garlic Vinaigrette
This is my grill basket...
You've seen it before here on my blog. It's the best grilling tool I have ever purchased, hands down. I bought it at HEB for about $8 or $9. As far as grill baskets go, that's cheap!
The Hubs & I use the basket at least once a week (but lately its been more like 2-3 times per week). I love it because it makes grilling veggies and shrimp SO much easier. No skewering or worrying about pieces falling through the grates.
Since we grill the same mixed veggies at least once a week, I try to switch up the seasonings to give us a little more variety. Last week, I made Southern Living's Basil-Garlic Vinaigrette to toss the veggies with before grilling. It was DELICIOUS!
So, go get yourself a grill basket & give this recipe a try.
* 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
* 1/4 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
* seasonal veggies, coarsely chopped (squash, zucchini, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, etc).
1. In a bowl, whisk together first 4 ingredients until blended. Gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth.
2. Stir in basil. Cover vinaigrette and chill 30 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, toss the chopped veggies with 1/4 cup of Basil-Garlic Vinaigrette.
4. Transfer veggies to your grill basket, season with salt & pepper and place your grill basket on a grill headed to medium-high. (Be sure to place a plate under the grill basket so you don't drip on your way to the back yard).
5. Grill veggies until they are done to your desired tenderness, 10-14 minutes. If you're using tomatoes, add them half way through, as they take less time to cook.
6. Serve with a salad, using the extra vinaigrette as a salad dressing.