Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pumpkin Ale Bread

I've already mentioned a time or two (or ten) how much I love Fall and all that it entails.....pumpkins, apples, football, cooler weather, cute sweaters, etc. Want to know why else I love fall?? Fall beers. It may sound a bit odd, but I love Octoberfest beers & Pumpkin Ales. My personal faves are Saint Arnolds & Sam Adams, but they're all good.

I recently read a blog post about a baker in Boston who used Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale to make a delicious pumpkin bread. I instantly knew I had to make it and OH MY HEAVENS am I glad I did!!

If you don't try any other recipes that I share, you should try this one. DELICIOUS!!

Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale Bread

Bread Ingredients:
* 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
* 2 large eggs
* 1 cup Harvests Pumpkin Ale puree (see below)
* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp baking power
* 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
* Powdered sugar (for dusting, optional)

Pumpkin Ale Puree Ingredients:
* 1-15-oz. can pumpkin puree
* 2/3 granulated sugar
* 1 bottle Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale (or any Pumpkin Ale)
* 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Directions:

1. Preheat over to 350°.

2. In a bowl, combine all ingredients for Pumpkin Ale Puree.

Mix well & set aside.

3. Combine the sugar and oil in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer with paddle attachment at medium speed.

Slowly add the egg.


4. Stop the mixer and add 1 cup of Pumpkin Ale puree. NOTE: Only add 1 cup of the puree, NOT all of it. Turn mixer to low-medium speed and leave it running for 4-5 minutes.

5. In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.


6. Stop the mixer and add the dry ingredients. Mix for 1 minute at low speed or until all the ingredients are mixed together.

7. Grease a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan. You can either use butter & flour or the wonderfully magic Baker's Joy spray.


8. Pour the mixture into the pan, leaving room at top of pan for bread to rise.


9. Bake for 60 minutes. Check bread by sticking the center with a knife (when knife comes out clean, remove from oven). If needed, bake for another five to eight minutes or until knife comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 - 15 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.


10. Once the bread has fully cooled, finish with light dusting of powdered sugar, if desired.


My Tid-Bits:

* I've made plenty of pumpkin bread recipes over the years, but this one was truly exceptional. The Pumpkin Ale just gives it a bit of a different flavor that is just yummy!

* I took the bread with us to the lake house this weekend. I sliced into it after dinner & 30 minutes later, it looked like this:

Everyone could not get enough. It was SO GOOD! You must try it!

* This Pumpkin Ale Bread would be great to give as a gift or serve at a brunch or Thanksgiving dinner.

* The original recipe uses Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale, but my grocery didn't have it, so I subbed in a different Pumpkin Ale. This time of year, you should be able to find at least one brand at any liquor store. World Market carries Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale, which is exceptionally good! (Just ask The Hubs. I bought a bottle specifically for this recipe & he accidentally drank it. Oops! I was able to find a different kind at Spec's).

* This recipe also calls for canola oil, but I was all out, so I used vegetable oil instead & it turned out fin.

* The recipe for the Pumpkin Ale Puree makes about 3.5 cups, but the bread recipe only calls for 1 cup of puree. I didn't know what to do with the other 2.5 cups, so I threw it away. Now I know better. Next time I'll just make more bread!

* Isn't my pumpkin loaf pan cute? My friend Jenn gave it to me as a "Thank You" gift last year. It's from Williams-Sonoma and they still have them here.


HAPPY FALL!

.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this recipe and all the helpful tips! I originally had the Sam Adam's recipe but lost it years ago and found yours and was delighted! This bread is soooo good..I make it every year in give it out as gifts to neighbors and teachers. I triple the ingredients (minus the puree) and it makes 12 mini loafs baked at 45 minutes and it comes out so delicious everytime!!

    ReplyDelete